Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: Discussion RSS
Future development plans
Where should MythTv player go?.. Please help in discussing the development plans.
Mikkel (Administrator) #1
User title: Developer
Member since Oct 2006 · 222 posts · Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Future development plans
Now that 0.3.2 has been released and commercial skipping seems to work, it is time to think about the future.
The following is a list of my own ideas, in the priority which I think is reasonable. Please cast your ideas into the pool and discuss the priority. I am open to suggestions.

- Parameters to the exe-file. Allows to open a recording via a link from mythtweb.
- Window class which makes it possible to: Remove titlebar, avoid videowindow to show in system-tray etc.
- Handle programs that are recording such that the length of the program is shown correct.
- LiveTv. Ability to switch to livetv and change channel.
- On Screen Display (OSD): Start implementation of OSD. This should show play/paused/time/rebuffering info. Countdown to commercial jump, etc.
- Ability to Delete recording from GUI.
- Deinterlaze filters. (use the ones from Dscaler. No need to reinvent the wheel)
- Configuration GUI. Simple configuration GUI where backend can be set up, buffer sizes be controlled, etc.

In the FAR future I imagine the possibility to search and schedule recordings. This is not that important to me, as mythweb really does a good job. What is your view?
There also been suggestions to make it possible to copy a recording to the local machine from the recording GUI, and a simple OSD where it is possible to select recordings using keys (and therefore remote control). These features are not important for me, but they might be for you?

The feature I miss the most is LiveTv, but even though it is partly working for my specific backend, it needs a lot of work to be deployable. Currently I only communicate with the backend using the Myth protocol, but it seems like I need to have access to its MySql database to get it up running.
ColeSlaw #2
Member since Dec 2006 · 12 posts · Location: Kearney, NE USA
Group memberships: Members
All of those features sound like ones I would appreciate.  LiveTV is probably at the top of my personal list though.  I realize that this is probably one of the trickier features on the list.

The other one that I would really like is the Window Class.  It would be nice to go fullscreen and not see any of the extra windows stuff while I was watching.

Those are the features that would be most important to me.
kkitts #3
Member since Dec 2006 · 5 posts · Location: Maryland, USA
Subject: Future plans
I love your program - keep up the good work. I also think that being able to copy the file over would be a great convenience. Then you could play it back from the local file - or if you are on a laptop take it with you.
ddisimo #4
Member since Dec 2006 · 3 posts
One of the features that would be nice is to have is configurable hotkeys.

The left/right keys advance too far for me.  Being able to set the length that
the arrow keys advance would be nice.

OSD enhancements would be great.

Thank you for all of the work on MythTVPlayer.

Darrin
Algernon #5
Member since Nov 2006 · 8 posts · Location: Finland, Sauvo
Somekind of quickhelp would be nice for the intuitive usage (either F1 or help on the buttons when one howers cursor on top of those).

Right click from a mouse could open a dialog for play/stop/open type perhaps in the player window.
---
Marko
This post was edited on 2007-01-01, 21:18 by Algernon.
Mikkel (Administrator) #6
User title: Developer
Member since Oct 2006 · 222 posts · Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
All suggestions are good and I think there should be both a quick help and a right-click menu. Configurable hotkeys are also needed.
The idea about a local "cache" of programs where a program is copied to the local harddrive and can be played back when disconnected from the network is a very good idea.. It makes mythtv portable. Unfortunately it would take a long time to copy 4 Hours of MPEG2 recordings to a laptop over wireless ;/.. I still find the idea very interesting.

I have not worked on live-tv for a while. When I start work on it again it will be for the next version (0.6 branch) such that evil bugs are not introduced in the current version (0.4 branch). But I have not forgot Livetv ;)

OSD would also be nice, and adding support for de-interlazing..

Well. As you can see what I just mentioned is A LOT of work.. I expect a lot of it to be implemented.. But slowly ;)... very slowy.. I am away abroad in febrary->March so I do not expect to do much (or any) progress for at least a couple of month.

But keep the suggestions coming. I will collect them in a development plan at some point and prioritize them ;)

\Mikkel
sunflame #7
Member since Feb 2007 · 1 post
Subject: Would love Live TV
For me the Live TV would be the best feature to have new.  Following this (or if it's taking to long/difficult to implement) cache locally would be great, especially if the extra info could be cached along with it, such that watching recordings without connecting to the backend would be possible. Think a laptop that connects to download the recordings on the weekends and is used to watch them all week from somewhere else.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please note the verification code from the picture into the text field next to it.
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20100516-dev, © 2003-10 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 130.2 ms (83.8 ms) · 81 database queries in 69.4 ms
Current time: 2017-11-20, 23:53:15 (UTC +01:00)